About Us

Worship Times

All Ages Sunday School – 
9AM
 
Worship Service – 
10AM

 

What Kind of Church is This?

 

Our Heritage

 
This congregation is not part of any formal denominational structure or organization. We are an independent congregation of Christ followers. The term “Christian” in our name is meant to identify us as followers of Jesus, not to separate us from anyone else who is seeking to follow and obey Jesus alone as Savior and Lord. It indicates, not a claim to be the only Christians, but simply a desire to be identified with Jesus rather than any human denomination, leader, practice or tradition.
 
Our roots lie in the Restoration or Stone-Campbell Movement, which affirms the New Testament as the standard for faith and practice and seeks to restore New Testament Christianity. One of our key mottos has been, “In essentials unity; in non-essentials liberty; in all things love.”
 

Our Local History

(from the History of First Christian Church of Aurora, Illinois, at the 75th Anniversary in 1988)
The earliest known beginnings of First Christian Church in Aurora date back to April 3, 1847, “at a meeting holden at the school house in West Aurora.” A resolution was adopted that “a church be organized in this place, taking the Scriptures alone as the rule of faith and practice.” Nothing more is known of these early beginnings.
 
The next effort of organization dates from 1891 in the formation of a Sunday School in Scattergood Mission on Claim Street. The next 20 years were met with insurmountable difficulties in attempting a permanent organization. Then in 1913, the Shearer, Shoger, Taylor, and Martin families were instrumental in gathering committed persons to effect a permanent congregational organization. They first met in homes and sites around Aurora, until in 1927 when property was purchased on the northwest corner of Commonwealth and Marseillaise. This was the site of the first building of the congregation.
 
The church had been meeting in the old Methodist Church building on Galena. Through the efforts of their minister, G. Lolin Eaton, a claim was established to an inheritance and assets from a disbanded church in a trust to be returned to the Fox Valley. The Christian Missionary Society helped confirm the church as a legitimate recipient. The church launched into a new building program and the basement unit was erected. The cornerstone was laid on September 26, 1937. The second building phase, the upper portion, was completed in 1943.
 
Growing pains were soon apparent. The question was asked, “Ten years from now, what will we wish we had done?” Property was then purchased on Randall Road and the cornerstone was placed on October 7, 1962.